Thursday, July 13, 2006

The shocking truth


I found this AD in the July 31 1964 edition of LIFE Magazine. If you check this blog on a regular basis, you know that I go through magazines like a hungry man goes through food. I found this particular AD and it was indeed shocking.

There is a young man with shifty eyes reading a comicbook when he should be reading his textbook. His look is kinda menacing and the copy calls him a poor student and I disagree with that! The good students read comics too! The AD is for some publishing house and they are selling a catalogue of classic books by Tolstoy and Shakespeare among others. Why must they pick on comics? At that time in four-color history, Stan and Jack had created The Fantastic Four, The Avengers, The Hulk ,Thor and I think that John Romita was drawing Spider-Man!

I think the shocking truth is that the comic books the kids are reading in 1964 will be a heck of a lot more valuable than the cheap, hardcover reprints this advertisement is trying to sell.

No comments: