Saturday, June 07, 2008

Forever Amber

Ten years ago I started writing Forever Amber. It was a Four issue limited series published by Image Comics, that I wrote, penciled and Inked. I could not have done it without the encouragement of The Bucce, Richard Starkings and the support of my friends at Mad Science Media. I was part of the Mad Science studio in Marina Del Rey and I can remember dropping in on my lunch hour when I worked in Culver City and working at the studio in the evenings. It was a really great and supportive place for me when I felt under utilized working for Sony Animation.

Back in 1998, I had years of experience, but not that much confidence and Forever Amber would be my first attempt at creating a comic book instead of just inking one. Now that some time has passed I'd like to review the first issue. I will keep my comments short for those who have never read the book. You can find a more objective review here.

Steve colored the cover! Excellent work but I insisted on the yellow logo. There was an alternate cover I drew that Steve colored as well. Thanks Steve.

The story was about a near future where everyone had a job, but no one was allowed to quit. If you did, your company would send someone like Amber to bring you back. She had super powers and everything was kind of easy for her. She was at a position in the company where she could see the average employee getting screwed over, but she did not think it could happen to her. When it did, she fought back in dramatic fashion.

Of all the ideas I had for the story, having Amber run around in a bikini top was not the best one. I'll try to make up for it in the sequel. I was also kind of chatty in the first issue. I was not comfortable enough in my storytelling at that point to let the art alone tell the story. As for my art, my stuff was all over the place. All of the characters were lost in shadows. I should have kept it simple and It did not help that the first took place at night. Ugh. Enough review.

I have to mention that this is my 500th post on this blog and I have not run out of things to say.

1 comment:

chummy's mum said...

Congrats on your 500th post! Very nice artwork!