Friday, July 11, 2008

Half-Inked Pages

In an effort to distance myself from yesterday's posting, I would like to talk about something Steve talked about in his last blog post. Half inked pages. I did not draw or ink these two pages. They were pencilled by Dale Keown and inked by Joe Rubenstein. They are from The Hulk issue 387, Back in the early 90s.

I remember hanging around the Marvel offices looking for work and hanging out with friends( I did that a lot back then). I am near the copy machine when the assistant to the Hulk editor at the time, C. Cooper, stopped to make some copies. I was excited by the half state of the artwork and I had him make a few copies for me as well. I don't know why anyone else would want copies in an in-between state like that.

So I have these copies and I keep looking at them to see how Joe changed the pencils. How he added depth and weight. I am sure he did most of his work in brush at this point, with a pen for hands and faces. There was some great work on those pages and I am lucky to have this Half-inked example of a great page.

1 comment:

Marc Siry said...

I don't really remember Keown's work. It looks very Byrne-like here.

My favorite part of working at Marvel was seeing the freshly inked pages- with the detailed linework and deep blacks that you didn't get from the crappy reproduction of the time.