Monday, December 01, 2008

The Best Of 2008

The January 2009 issue ofWizard Magazine has a Best Moments in comics section. I guess this is the time of year for it, but included with the best Artist and best Hero section, there is a Best Moments of 2008. "The Best Moments" include exposed private parts and dead infants. I know that there were much more to read this year and I would like to tell you what I consider the best comicbook story of 2008.

The Astro City Character Special published this year really got to me. It told the story of Beautie, a robot hero with no memory of her origins. She has spent years looking for answers, not understanding why she feels so sad. Beautie has friends but she does not know how to relate to them and often makes others uncomfortable. We come to discover that she was created by a young girl to be her companion. When the girls' robot making father discovers the child's creation, he orders her to get rid of it. Angry and hurt, she yells at her own 'child' to go away and 'forget'. Beautie leaves, spending years trying to remember and understand.

I could relate to the sadness of the little girl and the confused offspring trying to understand a parent. It was a good story. I recommend it.

No comments: